[LargeFormat] Falsh Bulbs (was Re: On Location)

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Thu Feb 21 19:26:47 2002

At 7:09 am -0800 21/2/02, Les Newcomer wrote:
>big snip
>  > f/18 is pretty dim for those focal lengths...
>>
>>  Jim
>>

>Yeah for interiors i tried the barebulb flashlight as a focus target
>technique, but found common flares to be much better.

Blinded by the light ;-)

Talking of which, anyone have any idea how much current in amps one
of the the large flash bulbs (size of a domestic light bulb) takes to
fire it? I feel some artificial light coming on and want to set up
some retro flash heads. The Graflex type guns take a few large (D
size?) batteries, can't remember how many off hand and am too lazy to
open the case containing the flash gun. They would be capable of
delivering a hefty amperage though.

Have seen the results of arcing on the flash contacts on Graflex
shutter blinds and am thinking about using a small relay to fire the
flash bulbs with a much lower current being drawn through the shutter
to actuate the relay which will then fire the bulbs. Don't like the
idea of trashing the flash contacts in shutters.....

Before anyone asks - yes the shutters I am thinking of using have a
bulb setting.

--
All the best,

               Clive     http://www.f32.net