[LargeFormat] Film for larger LF cameras.

Frantisek Vlcek largeformat@f32.net
Thu Oct 25 07:32:21 2001

Hello John,
JP> On to the topic: I'm looking into the purchase of a larger size of LF cameras, those larger than 8x10.
JP> I'm interested in the "banquet" style cameras but I'm wondering where you get the film for them?

Hi,
   I remember an article in Darkroom User or maybe its precessedor
   Camera & Darkroom (NOT the USA magazine! I mean the UK one of same
   name but different) about availability of large sheet film. I will
   look through my archive (which is now in a mess) and post the
   relevant info here (there were some mail-order addresses for UK and
   USA, which still may or may not be valid).

   There is also possibility of asking one of the few remaining
   independent film makers in the world. One is situated in Czech
   republic (where I live, incidentally <g>), www.foma.cz FOMA
   company. Their Fomapan 100 and Fomapan 200 are very good films,
   which I use even in small format (I judged the difference and it
   wasn't enough to use 2-4x more expensive Ilford films in that
   speed like FP4+, especially as I buy bulk rolls.
   Their 400 film, OTOH, is complete crap, as is their 800
   film. But only 100 and 200 are available in sheets anyway).

   They also make lith film in sizes up to 50x60cm (copy film,
   ortochromatic), and the Fomapan 100 is certainly available up to
   50x60cm sheets! If they do Imperial sizes I don't know, but if you
   like their film and would order a large enough batch, they say they
   do special orders too.

   The Fomapan 100 gave me rich tones and very good detail from
   shadows to highlights when developed in Microphen 1+1.

   Of course, there are also other independents. One is in Germany,
   MACO. One in Croatia (using old German machines, this old film is
   pretty famous among some oldtime shooters). Search for EFKE film,
   effectually same emulsion as old German KB 17, KB 21 etc. Try
   contacting them too. I don't want to advertize only "my" Czech
   company ;-)

   HTH,

   Frantisek