[LargeFormat] Snowy Landscapes

Hornford, Dave largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 1 13:44:10 2001

Snow is more reflective than a 'neutral background', and won't give a true
zone V value on metering. If I can I meter something else in the same
lighting (hand, trees, some rock) then apply the adjustments to move the
snow to Zone VII. If I have to meter snow I assume the reading is 2 stops
above a 'neutral background' - experimentation has shown a bit of variation
whether the snow is under cloud, in shadow or in full sun)

regards Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: TigerShark [mailto:sunnyd@ptdprolog.net]
Sent: Monday, January 01, 2001 5:12 AM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] Snowy Landscapes

If the snow is your most important subject, and you want the snow to be
fully textured (Zone VII) than the metered value of the snow (Zone V) + 2
stops open should do it for you (VII - V = +2 stops open).  Let the other
zones just be where they are; not much you can do about them anyway.

1/3 - 1/2 stop up or down may be a fine tuning.  Also depends on your meter.
A UV or Skylight filter will cut down on the bluish tint (mostly from
(invisible) UV light exposing the blue sensitive layer unproportionatly
more).  No exposure adjustments are necessary for those filters.

TigerShark