[LargeFormat] Push processing Ilford HP5

Don Feinberg largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 18 08:56:15 2000

> Have an interesting photo assignment coming up and would really like to
use
> large format.  Just one slight problem, the shoot will be a night shot lit
> with hundreds of candles and we have a limited selection of large format
> films here in the UK.
>
> Has anyone had experience in push processing HP5+ ?  The shoot will
> probably require ASA 1600 or 3200 to capture the scene. There is no time
> for experimentation or metering the scene beforehand as it all takes place
> in two days time.  My guess is that some developers will be more suitable
> than others for the job.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I have bought a couple of 120
> rolls of Ilford Delta 3200 just to be on the safe side :-)

Shoot the Delta 3200 -- it has a base ISO 800 emulsion.  If you shoot Delta
3200 at 1600, it's only a 1-stop "push"  :-)  :-)   And - Delta 3200 was
made specifically to be pushed.

You would be pushing the HP5 by two or three stops to get to 1600 or 3200.
There is no way you can get full emulsion speed in a 2 to 3 stop push.  You
will get the highlights, but the shadows will be empty, i.e., you will be
increasing the contrast (and apparent grain size) very greatly.

Don Feinberg
donf@cybernex.net