[LargeFormat] Push processing Ilford HP5

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 18 16:48:02 2000

At 8:53 am -0500 18/12/00, Don Feinberg wrote:
>  > Have an interesting photo assignment coming up and would really like to
>use
>>  large format.  Just one slight problem, the shoot will be a night shot lit
>>  with hundreds of candles and we have a limited selection of large format
>>  films here in the UK.
>>
>>  Has anyone had experience in push processing HP5+ ?  The shoot will
>>  probably require ASA 1600 or 3200 to capture the scene. There is no time
>>  for experimentation or metering the scene beforehand as it all takes place
>>  in two days time.  My guess is that some developers will be more suitable
>>  than others for the job.
>>
>>  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I have bought a couple of 120
>>  rolls of Ilford Delta 3200 just to be on the safe side :-)
>
>Shoot the Delta 3200 -- it has a base ISO 800 emulsion.  If you shoot Delta
>3200 at 1600, it's only a 1-stop "push"  :-)  :-)   And - Delta 3200 was
>made specifically to be pushed.
>
>You would be pushing the HP5 by two or three stops to get to 1600 or 3200.
>There is no way you can get full emulsion speed in a 2 to 3 stop push.  You
>will get the highlights, but the shadows will be empty, i.e., you will be
>increasing the contrast (and apparent grain size) very greatly.
>
>Don Feinberg
>donf@cybernex.net

Don,

Thanks for the advice. Unless anyone else has any bright ideas then
the Delta 3200 will be used on the night.

I had hoped to also shoot in colour but guess that would mean using 35mm....

--
All the best,

             Clive Warren   http://www.f32.net
                            Large Format travel and stock photography