[Jacob-list] Ed and E+

Carl Fosbrink fourhornfarm at frontier.com
Wed May 8 12:35:31 EDT 2013

I do not study genetics. but I am interested in what produces what in
my Jacobs and I know from experience that lilac to lilac produces all lilac
lambs and lilac carrier to lilac carrier produces mostly b&w, but some
lilacs. I have bred a separate lilac flock to see what is produced and if
the color fades when breeding lilac to lilac. It seems the color does not
fade by breeding lilac to lilac, but the fading is in some individuals and
not in others just like in the b&w so one should cull the faders out. It is
natural for the tips of the wool to fade from the sun just like in the b&w
and since the lilac is lighter to start with that color will fade out to
where it is hard to see on the surface on some individuals. The lilac color
is a lovely color of wool and sought after by spinners. The lilac color is
in the line of Jacobs from the Isle of Skye, Chicago Zoo, imports for sure,
but I'm not sure about the early
English imports and the later English imports and would be interested in
finding out more about lilacs in the English imports before they were
crossed with the Isle of
Skye imports. I have a ram from the English imports and he is not a lilac
carrier because he has not produce any lilac lambs even when bred to a lilac
ewe. Every ram I have had from the Isle of Skye import lines has been a
lilac carrier. I have mostly b&w Jacobs, but like having some lilacs in my
flock too. The lilac color is just as natural a color in Jacobs as b&w is,
but is a recessive color and b&w is a dominate color.
I am glad there are people like Neal who study the scientific part
of genetics. I like studying what produces what in Jacobs, but am not into
the scientific part of it. I was the same way when I bred and exhibited
poultry. I found it very exciting to figure out what produced what, but
never studied the scientific part of genetics. I am lost when people start
talking about letters like Ed etc. In breeding poultry I found that the
conformation came mostly from the female side and the color came mostly from
the male side. I also found that eye color could tell you if a chicken was
healthy or not.
When breeding Jacobs it is much more difficult because of the more
open standard for the breed. I have also found that the same set of ewes and
ram can one year produce a lot of lambs with say slipped eye patches and the
next year not. I have found that breeding for strong symmetrical horns or
40% black or black hooves and leg markings will increase the number of good
offspring you get when you are selective about what you use for breeding so
use the best individuals for breeding you can get. When I first got into
Jacobs it was hard to get ewes with good horns and I learned that using ewes
with strong symmetrical horns would produce rams and ewes with good horn
sets. I also found that Jacobs with black hooves never needed their hooves
trimmed. Another thing I learned was that freckling was easy to get rid of
by using unfreckled rams, and using 2Hs for breeding has nothing to do with
SUED.

Carl