[Jacob-list] processing

Zach Oaster zach at fattoaster.com
Wed Jan 30 18:04:30 EST 2013

We have a local professional butcher do ours each year. They use vacuum
packing, which I think helps a LOT with preventing freezer burn. They save
the pelts for us, which I pick-up SAME DAY and immediately lay flat w/flesh
side up and salt with fine stock salt from Tractor Supply (50# bag is like
5 bucks, only salt, not mineral mix... and no iodized table salt)

My wife and I eat a lot of burger, so we usually have a fair bit of burger
ground. Jacob chops are wonderful (3/4" - 1" cut, grill or pan sear them
med. rare!!). Lamb shanks are also wonderful for braising (osso bucco), leg
of lamb is great for larger groups, but legs also make nice steaks
(bone-in) for grilling in the summertime. I usually have the butcher save
the tongue, heart, liver, and sometimes the kidneys and oysters (testicles,
which are actually tasty if prepared correctly -- I've done them deep fried
in panko bread crumbs, also another time I made them in a Hungarian style
paprika red sauce over rice - has the cooked consistency of tofu with the
very very mild flavor of liver). If anyone wants recipe links for how to
use "weird" organ meats, then I'm happy to share.

If you're determined, you can also have the butcher save all larger leg
bones and saw them into 2" rounds so that you can roast them for marrow
(great over crackers or crusty bread), and you can even skin out the head
and roast it bone-in wrapped in foil for a few hours. Cheek meat is super
tasty, and eye balls, brains, and other meat bits can make a super-tasty
headcheese loaf (sandwich meat when sliced thin... see internet recipes).

So, I definitely recommend keeping all of the chops and all of the shanks.
Stew meat is also a great option. Otherwise, the cuts are kind-of a
personal taste thing. Good luck! Jacob sheep is some darn tasty meat.

Zach Oaster
zach at fattoaster.com
Visit Zach & Lindsay's farm blog: http://www.fattoasterfarm.com