[Jacob-list] processing

Carl Fosbrink fourhornfarm at frontier.com
Thu Jan 31 00:11:29 EST 2013

Kathy,

I usually get leg of lamb from the rear legs, roasts from the front legs, lamb chops, ribs and lamb burger. I also get the heart and liver. There are other ways to make other cuts. Sometimes I get a whole lamb made into lamb burger because I like cheeseburgers. It is best to let the sheep hang for about three days after killing and gutting it before cutting it up and wrapping it.
There is a law about disposal of the off falls so I pick up those as well as the heads and fleeces when I pick up the meat. I hang the heads up in a tree and let the maggots clean the heads when the weather is warm. I salt down the fleeces and get them ready to send off to the tanner. After the salt removes some of the moisture from the pelt I scrape them and add more salt. The pelts will need to be rotated and the salt rubbed in each day until the moisture is all out of the fleeces.
Jacob meat is much tastier than the meat from modern breeds and have much less fat. I'm sure you will enjoy the meat. The price for processing varies greatly from place to place. If the processing is too high in your area it is easy to process them yourself if you get a meat saw and paper to wrap the meat in. I am fortunate to have a reasonable processor here and they charge $10 killing fee which is for killing gutting and skinning and then .28 a pound to cut the meat up and wrap it.

Carl @ 4Horn Farm's Jacob sheep
In Seymour, IN.