[Jacob-list] Jacob-list Digest, Vol 101, Issue 13

Joan Gross mudranch at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 14:15:34 EDT 2012

Karen,

I kind of feel like an "almost-an-expert" in the area of predator attacks.
We've had four mountain lions, various coyote attacks, and domestic dog
attacks here in the far northern reaches of California. I have seen coyote
kills that leave almost no trace but some shards of bone and bits of wool.
Usually that would be from a young lamb (smaller amount of meat) and/or
attacked by a larger number of coyotes mostly due to having pups. If you
still have a carcass, most of the time the rear end and some of the insides
would be eaten out and the rest is left until they come back again perhaps
the following night.

A mountian lion kill would show a large drag trail (especially if the kill
was a considerable size, such as an adult) and you would find the carcass
stuffed in near by bushes and mostly covered wtih leaves/needles/dirt.
They lions will eat a bit of the fresh kill then bury it to keep it fresh
and come back the following night to chew on it some more. Once the
carcass starts to rot, the lion won't be interested. They only like fresh
meat.

If I was in your shoes, I would call out your department of fish & game and
they can usually do some investigating as to what the predator was. They
can then put you contact with a federal trapper who can come set snares (if
coyotes) or bring in the hounds to hunt the lion. You need to call them
immediately as the fresh "crime scene" is most helpful with investigating -
and scent is fresh for the hounds too. If you have the fish & game out,
keep animals away from the carcass so you can keep the scent fresh. Keep
dogs away.

I'm sorry for you losses - I can certainly sympathize. I've lost some of
my favorites too.

Joan Gross
Mud Ranch Jacobs