[Jacob-list] Fw: tails

Carl Fosbrink fourhornfarm at frontier.com
Wed Jun 27 13:28:58 EDT 2012

From: Carl Fosbrink
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:28 PM
To: Elizabeth Bell
Subject: Re: [Jacob-list] tails

There have been lilac Jacobs ever since they came to the USA, but it is unclear about the chocolate lilac color as to if the color is on the face and legs or just in the fleece or what. What one person calls chocolate may not be what another would call chocolate so we are trying to clear things up. There is no discussion about the blue/gray lilac color because everyone agrees that this is lilac color in Jacob sheep. A Jacob from several generations of registered Jacobs that has a tail longer or shorter than hock length can be registered, but should be bred to a Jacob with the proper length of tail so as not to perpetuate the wrong length of tail. I personally dock tails on my Jacobs, but when I band the tails I record any tails that are not hock length so I can take that into consideration when culling or can tell a buyer about it so they can take it into consideration when deciding to buy.