[Jacob-list] Calicrate Bander

Peg Bostwick peg at sweetgrass-jacobs.com
Tue Jun 26 15:07:25 EDT 2012

We've never used banders for docking or castrating. The shepherd at
Michigan State U told me that he thought bands were the worst way to go for
both, given the time needed to get the job done.

For docking, Joe uses a device that cuts the tail, and crushes the stub to
limit bleeding. Iodine used to clean the stub. There is no doubt the tail
is sore - they go back to moms with tails tucked under - but go right to
nursing. (Left to me, it doesn't get done at all. J)

For wethering, we use a burdizzo (Mid-states Wool Growers, Pipestone,
wherever). This can be done up to several weeks of age - in fact you have
to wait until you can feel the testicles, because this device works by
crushing the tubes above the testicles - it is essentially a clamp. If
done correctly, I'm not saying it is easy on the lamb - to be effective, you
have to hold it in place for about a minute. But, we usually sit the lambs
up and I hold them while Joe does the dirty work, and at the end of a couple
of minutes (a minute each side) they normally just get right up and trot
off. Some may act a bit wobbly for a few seconds. They will kick when the
clamp is first closed, but once we let them up, I've never had one lay
around and kick or anything like that. We don't have to worry about blood,
flies, etc. and find it the lesser of evils.

Not having used a bander, I can't really compare, but consider this as an
option. Any opinions? Peg

Peg Bostwick

<mailto:peg at sweetgrass-jacobs.com> peg at sweetgrass-jacobs.com

517-626-6981