[Jacob-list] Calicrate Bander

Jennifer gotothewhip at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 12:00:36 EDT 2012

Anyone else used this tool... Im pretty darn happy with the results~ Local feed store rents out both the "Wee Bander" by calicrate and the "Calicrate bander" ( www.NoBull.net )

We typically knife castrate in mid June when we start making culling decisions on rams. I castrate at this time as I typically sell a few fleece wethers, and to have them already done is a good thing, plus I can put the wethers in with the cull ewe lambs to feed out for slaughter without incident.

We first tried the Wee Bander on some 30-60 dauyy lambs.. got the job done, but I think it was a little tough on them as I had to force the testicles into the bander as it was a bit small.

The Calicrate bander is touted as the most Humane castration method... and that it is effective to castrate older animals.

It took a few lambs to get the hang of it... I may have banded one too high, but he is getting around fine now,,the most difficult part was keeping the wool out of the bander when pressure was applied. This bander is supposed to be the least stressful as it applies a much higher level of pressure, cutting off blood flow immediatley instead of letting the testicles swell first.

We saw tyhe typical banding response, of throwing themselves down, but they were back up within a minute or so, and walking (a little stiff) right after. Nobody seemed to go off feed.

Obviously the bander is a bit pricey and the bands are like $3 each.. but if it makes it easier on the lambs, I may go ahead and purcase one.

I really wish I could justify the wee-bander too.. it is supposed to be awesome on tails...same theory of lots of presssure means less pain and complications.

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn Ranch
Bennett, CO