[Jacob-list] lilac

Lasell J. Bartlett lasell at lasell.org
Sun Apr 1 16:32:55 EDT 2012

On Apr 1, 2012, at 3:34 PM, Linda wrote:

> I read an article by Dr. Sponenberg about differences in the color

> between leg markings and fleece. I was specifically interested in

> sheep that have brown fleeces, but have black leg/face markings.

> According to Dr. S, if the leg markings are black, the sheep is

> black and the color difference in the fleece has to do with some

> modifying gene or possibly an environmental factor such as a

> mineral deficiency - not the actual color gene which is indicated

> by the color of the leg markings.

This interests me, not only about the lilac discussion, but about the
tricolor ewe I have. Her tawny spots on her face and legs have
remained although the tawny spots she was born with on her shoulder,
are now the same color as the rest of her the dark of her fleece.

She happens to be granddaughter of the ewe I have who has produced
what I've assumed to be 'lilac' colored lambs, so there is a family
connection there.

All of our older ewes go back to the Lasseau flock, however we don't
have complete records on all the rams who have been involved over the
past 25 years or so.

Lasell J Bartlett
lasell at lasell.org