[Jacob-list] Mineral/protein tubs

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Mon May 16 08:24:15 EDT 2011

I use Blue Seal Energilass SGD molasses tub starting the last six weeks
of gestation. I'm also graining during that time. I'll use them for the
ewes until I start weaning lambs. Some of the ewes right now are still
getting grain as they have limited pasture and some are on just pasture.
The ewes on limited pasture actually eat the tub alot faster than the
ones on pasture. As I wean, I'm putting the tubs with the lambs, but
that is mostly because the tubs aren't empty and the lambs might as well
have them as I don't think they would store well until next year. Blue
Seal makes an Energilass Sheep tub, which is the same as the SGD tub.
They also make an Energliass Goat tub, which has added copper.
I don't use the tubs year round, but have been using them for that few
month period for years. I have not seen any breakdown of the teeth.
RubyBelle had good teeth when she was 15.
I also use Southern States 24% protein sheep/goat block at times, but
only for sheep that are not getting any grain. It's a soft block that
crumbles easily and doesn't wear down their teeth.

Linda
.

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>