[Jacob-list] poisonous plants & sheep

Neal Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Mon Mar 7 08:55:14 EST 2011

Sheep will pretty much eat on anything (accept what SHOULD be perfectly good grass), regardless of whether it is good or bad for them. They love fertilizer. And when bored, the barn or anything green is fair game.

The saving grace is that they may be spared if they consume enough proper food to dilute out the toxins. That said, I had a 1500 lb cow fall dead after nibbling a little Jimsonweed, and a bottle lamb that completely stripped an expensive laurel in the front yard with no apparent side effects.

Poison ivy, blackberry briars, and your mom’s roses are a favorite food. Your Carolina jasmine is evergreen (and may be even more toxic in winter), and will be a too-tempting target next winter. During stress periods, the sheep will be particularly susceptible to toxins.

Neal Grose