[Jacob-list] Hedgerows

Black Sheep westergladstone at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 29 05:16:08 EST 2011

Hi there. Here in the UK hedgerows have long been the traditional way to
keep stock in, but nowadays they are always used with stock fencing too.
The best and quickest species to use is hawthorn, although there are others
you can add for diversity. You would have to protect saplings from the
sheep as they grew, then lay the hedge after a few years to get a dense
bottom - I would say it is impossible to make a hedge lamb proof. Jacobs in
particular will eat hedges (so don't use poisonous varieties), both the
leaves and bark. We have surrounded our smallholding with hedgerows,
protected between double stock fencing. They provide shelter, biosecurity,
beauty and a home plus berries for wildlife, but we would definitely not use
them on their own to keep stock confined.

Juliet in Scotland

www.scothebs.co.uk