[Jacob-list] Hedgerows

Neal Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sat Jan 29 09:11:43 EST 2011

You will need to check for local adapted varieties. Juliet’s British Isles hawthorn is not the same as our trees; but if trimmed to a spreading shrub, hawthorns can certainly prevent your neighbors from visiting.
I once recommended a local battered women’s shelter plant a hedgerow of hardy orange (Poncirus trifoliata). They have decorative, deadly thorns and a thick, twisted habit of growth but bloom around Easter with wonderfully fragrant blooms.

Further north than the hot, humid south? Don’t know. a row of fruiting shrubs like blackberries would be fun, but invasive. Almost anything would have to have a fence inside the hedge until the plants could tolerate moderate browsing.

Neal
North Carolina