[Jacob-list] New Booklet "Guide to Selection of Jacob Breeding Stock"

Royal Unzicker runzicker at verizon.net
Mon Aug 8 14:06:35 EDT 2011

Hi Peg,
Sorry if this came across negatively to you. I think four horn sheep were used as there is more frequently an issue with four horn sheep than with two horn sheep. And it seemed helpful to show how horns can change as they mature. Since this is a guide to alert breeders, especially new breeders, it seemed more beneficial to use four horn animls. As it states under the photos, both sheep are rams. In any case, I have never heard anyone say two horn Jacobs are of less value than four horn Jacobs. I do find that sometimes breeders are willing to pay more for four horn animls just because they like their look. I find the same is often true for Jacobs with black on their legs or feet. That does not imply that JSBA thinks four horn Jacobs or Jacobs with black feet are more valuable than other Jacobs. It should be a breeder's choice as long as the sheep fall within the breed standard..

This guide has been in the works for many years and there have been numerous revisions. I am sure there is not copy that will please everyone. However, I do hope the guide will be of value to the majority of our members.
Royal Unzicker
Inspector Chair