[Jacob-list] Strange lamb

shmee1 at mail.com shmee1 at mail.com
Sun Apr 10 18:53:25 EDT 2011

One of our yearlings just had a single ram lamb of 3.0 kg (a good size for a yearling). At first glance he looked good and strong, then we noticed he tilts his head at a weird angle and then circles in the direction of the head tilt. He is also holding both his back legs sort of spread out wide but is otherwise walking around. The legs may just be due to being only an hour old but the head thing is a bit strange. He is able to nurse, but we helped him a bit since it's a first time mom and moving around alot. We gave him a shot of Selenium immediately. To me it seems like maybe some neurological issue. Unfortunately I missed the birth and don't know if something happened during the delivery. My question for the group is directed to those people who posted about "Wobbly lambs", did they start out similar to this little guy? Is there anything more I should be giving him?

This year sure has been a strange one for lambing; from breech birth triplets, to pulling a large ram out of a small yearling, to a premature birth that died shortly after being born, now this strange little guy. I'm starting to wonder if something else is at play. We did treat the flock with Valbazen in the fall but waited the required 30 days till introducing the ram. We also had some breeding issues with one ram jumping/breaking the fence into the other breeding group, causing some interbreeding.

Any input would be appreciated.

Leigh