[Jacob-list] Primitive/ Improved Discussion

Shari Staines mikesharikids at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 10:46:03 EDT 2010

Carl and Peg,

I have enjoyed your thoughts and comments about this topic.  There is reference to an article by Fred Horak that was not available as an attachment on my end of the email.  Would either of you be able to forward that to me?

Fred, if you happen to be tuned in, can you help Peg and I better understand by addressing the topic of two horn animals?  I am with Peg on this and feel that often the two horn animals are placed in low regard by many U.S. breeders.  There are some truly stunning 2 horn American Jacob Sheep within our population.  Is there concrete reasoning behind the placement of a lesser value on the two horn variety?  I would love to hear more on this subject.  If ONLY 4 horn stock was brought in originally, and two horns were born to those 4 horns, and the 2 and 4 horn varieties live on. . .  It's a genetic variation, not a sign of inbreeding.  Do some breeders believe that the two horn is somehow a lesser specimen (or a bi-product of inbreeding?)  Also, we should be careful when making choices on traits that we breed for so that we do not do our own breed any type of injustice over the coarse of time.  i.e. Concentration on breeding for 4 horns
and playing up the supremacy of that specific trait may play a part in the devaluing of a good portion of beautiful stock (and the genetics that go with that stock.)  It also really hurts our price point on those two horn sheep.  (My opinion of course.)  I've been told that in certain geographic areas of the US, breeders have a difficult time giving away a two horn!  (And therefore they are sold for meat.)  It that geographic area, have breeders done this to themselves by placing too much credence on the 4 horn variety?  Don't know the answer.  Just wondering if anyone else knows and can share with me.

For those that REALLY FOCUS on breeding the 4 horn variety, I am wondering WHY that trait in-particular is of such importance to you as a breeder.  Is it because of the belief that the original stock was ONLY 4 horn?  Or, is it a simple personal preference in that trait?

My other question regarding the horns is this. . .Is it not true that we need to breed 2 horn animals somewhat frequently within the 4 horn population to keep the incidence of SUED down?  AND, to give strength to the horn formation?  And, is there any scientific proof of those things or only "live and learn" type stories?  I'd like to hear any feedback on that.

I've been told by many breeders that when a two horn ram fights a four horn ram, the 2 horn ALWAYS wins due to the larger surface area to HIT with!  So, in a primitive environment, would the 2 horn not prevail without human selection of the trait?  (Just a thought I had as I was typing this.)

This is a very intriguing and useful topic and I thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.  Have a wonderful day!

Best,
Shari Staines
www.neverwinterfarm.com