[Jacob-list] Fw: Emailing: Horak Article, Horak Article 001

Mark Essen messen at socket.net
Tue Sep 28 10:35:04 EDT 2010

As a Missourian, I feel that I must correct a spelling error referring
to the early auctions for Jacobs. The sale was in Cape Girardeau in
South Eastern Missouri. This was a sale held under the big top tent.
Sold many exotics, conducted by Dave Hale. His son still raises and
trains camels and is the lead man of the rowdy country band, "John D.
Hale Band". But, I digress. The reason this sale sold mostly four
horned Jacobs is that many of the buyers were from game ranches. The
trophy hunters like four horns.
This sale died out because Dave was not good with bookkeeping and his
checks were not always good. This is when a primate breeders club
talked to Frank Lolli in Macon Missouri and the sale moved north and
west to Lolli Brothers sale barn in Macon, Missouri. A few years later,
Niel Franke started another Cape Girardeau, actually five miles north in
Fruitland, Missouri
Both two and four horn Jacobs can be purchased at both of these
auctions. However, the four horn variety always fetch the premium
prices and are more numerous. At these sales, registrations seldom
mentioned.