[Jacob-list] Fleece pelt

Katherine Wisor creeksendfarm at mac.com
Mon Sep 27 22:45:40 EDT 2010

I also have "tanned" many hides with salt and "Tea " for opening tea
packs.( for the Tannin in the Tea) Never had bugs but my Doberman's
loved to sneak in chews. I'm in Reno but intend to go home to NC to
pick up my hides. Deer hides where easier to do than sheep.
Scraping the meat & fat off and emptying the bags of yea were the
hardest part. I'm sure farmers have done that way long before
today. They taught me lots of things that seem odd today like how to
castrate pigs then use Kerosene to stop the bleeding. Blessings >
KAtherine
www.creeksendfarm.com

Katherine Wisor RN / Farmer
12700 Red Rock Road Reno Nevada , 89508 704-488-5000

On Sep 27, 2010, at 5:54 PM, Mark Essen wrote:

> I cannot explain why my personal experience is contrary to

> conventional wisdom, but, I did this and it turned out very well. I

> scrapped and heavily salted one hide. I thought that I would wait

> for a few others that year, but somebody came by and bought them all

> live. That left me with just this one salted hide. I set it aside

> and forgot about it for about two years. Then I decided to wash it

> to get all of the dust off of it. Since then, it has sat on the

> lower back and seat of a wooden rocker and i very soft and

> comfortable. Looks nice too. The skin side is stiffer than my

> professionally processed hides, but the fleece side looks very

> nice. No bug problem either. I have never seen any body recommend

> what I did, but it worked very well this time. That makes 100% for

> me.

> On 9/27/2010 2:43 PM, tim koenig wrote:

>> A very bad idea. Uncured, hair-on hide indoors will draw dermestid

>> beetles (carpet beetles), which live on dead animal protien. This

>> means dry meat, skin, hair roots, etc. The salt in the skin will also

>> absorb moisture from the air and stain floors, and will eventually

>> smell bad.

>> Tim Koenig, Applegarth Farm

>> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Bill& Jeannette Joosse

>> <wjjoosse at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi

>>> I was wondering if anyone has removed the fat, etc from a lamb

>>> pelt, cured

>>> it with salt and then attached a non-skid rug back to it.

>>> I have been debating on whether to send the pelt out for tanning

>>> and thought

>>> this might be an alternative.

>>> I realize the pelt will not be flexible or washable.

>>> I appreciate your opinions.

>>> Jeannette