[Jacob-list] Fleece pelt

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Tue Sep 28 07:21:56 EDT 2010

I tanned one hide myself and it was fine. There are lots of books on
tanning hides yourself. I washed the raw hide with soap - about the same
way you'd wash a fleece - before salting. I used salt and alum. When
I've done rabbit hides, I've worked them by hand as they dried to make
the soft. The sheep skin was too tedious to keep stretching, so I dried
it stiff - tacked up the barn wall. I did toss it in a clothes dryer -
no heat - after it was completely dry. That fluffed up the wool and
softened the hide a little bit.

Linda
Mark Essen wrote:

> I cannot explain why my personal experience is contrary to

> conventional wisdom, but, I did this and it turned out very well. I

> scrapped and heavily salted one hide. I thought that I would wait for

> a few others that year, but somebody came by and bought them all

> live. That left me with just this one salted hide. I set it aside

> and forgot about it for about two years. Then I decided to wash it to

> get all of the dust off of it. Since then, it has sat on the lower

> back and seat of a wooden rocker and i very soft and comfortable.

> Looks nice too. The skin side is stiffer than my professionally

> processed hides, but the fleece side looks very nice. No bug problem

> either. I have never seen any body recommend what I did, but it

> worked very well this time. That makes 100% for me.

> On 9/27/2010 2:43 PM, tim koenig wrote:

>> A very bad idea. Uncured, hair-on hide indoors will draw dermestid

>> beetles (carpet beetles), which live on dead animal protien. This

>> means dry meat, skin, hair roots, etc. The salt in the skin will also

>> absorb moisture from the air and stain floors, and will eventually

>> smell bad.

>> Tim Koenig, Applegarth Farm

>> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Bill& Jeannette Joosse

>> <wjjoosse at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi

>>> I was wondering if anyone has removed the fat, etc from a lamb pelt,

>>> cured

>>> it with salt and then attached a non-skid rug back to it.

>>> I have been debating on whether to send the pelt out for tanning and

>>> thought

>>> this might be an alternative.

>>> I realize the pelt will not be flexible or washable.

>>> I appreciate your opinions.

>>> Jeannette

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>