[Jacob-list] Fleece pelt

Mark Essen messen at socket.net
Mon Sep 27 20:54:45 EDT 2010

I cannot explain why my personal experience is contrary to
conventional wisdom, but, I did this and it turned out very well. I
scrapped and heavily salted one hide. I thought that I would wait for a
few others that year, but somebody came by and bought them all live.
That left me with just this one salted hide. I set it aside and forgot
about it for about two years. Then I decided to wash it to get all of
the dust off of it. Since then, it has sat on the lower back and seat
of a wooden rocker and i very soft and comfortable. Looks nice too.
The skin side is stiffer than my professionally processed hides, but the
fleece side looks very nice. No bug problem either. I have never seen
any body recommend what I did, but it worked very well this time. That
makes 100% for me.