[Jacob-list] Pasture Managements

Beryl Schwartz beryl5145 at wirelessbeehive.com
Wed May 12 11:08:16 EDT 2010

All,

Finally, the state extension guy visited my place and offered advice.

Knock down sagebrush that is completely surrounded by grass

Keep area that have cheat grass moist to encourage other grasses

Pile compost piles on a pasture all summer and disk them in. In some areas,
I have only 1" of topsoil. The mountain benches of Utah have very poor
soil. Disking in organic matter will help

Consider deer netting at 3.5' high to act as a temporary fence

Also, he gave me a good rule of thumb: put the animals on the pasture when
the grass is one soda can high. Take them off when the grass is as high as
the soda can on its side.

Beryl Schwartz

Stockton, Utah