[Jacob-list] Earthhues dyes

Lorraine Nielsen fourwinds at gotsky.com
Tue Mar 23 11:39:49 EDT 2010

I don't have experience with Earthues dyes in particular, but I know the
main concern in dyeing is being environmentally considerate. Any dyes that
require a metal mordant (chrome, copper, iron, tin) require careful
handling and disposal so as not to harm yourself or the water system. Acid
dyes are supposedly safer, but all dyes require thoughtful handling.

I use only natural dyes from my own plant garden or from the forest on our
farm. I do use alum (potassium aluminum sulfate) for those dyestuffs
requiring a mordant, and have found it most effective when mordanting
first and putting yarn or fiber in the dye bath later. I've also found
that washing the yarn after spinning results in deeper colors.

A recent discovery for grey yarn (either all grey or streaked) is using
that yellow-green lichen commonly known as "wolf moss". It needs no
mordant to be colorfast and comes out a gorgeous deep green-- forest-y
colors. It is also fun to ply grey and white Jacob wool together and dye
that in whatever color.

Lorraine
Four Winds Farm
Crescent Mills, CA