[Jacob-list] ear tagging lambs

Robinson perfectspot at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 17 00:11:45 EDT 2010

In twelve years, we have developed a system that works for us regarding
tags. Let me preface by saying that I hate tagging sheep and would not
do it at all if given a choice. We have few enough sheep that we don't
need to worry about identification from the standpoint of which lamb(s)
belong to which ewe. I keep good photo records of ewes and their lambs
as they develop, just in case, but have never had to use the pictures
yet for ID purposes. Because Jacobs are so individual in appearance, it
helps with ID; all white sheep would be a different story!

We used to tag with the small lamb tags within a few days of birth, but
after a few years gave that up because of torn ears or lost tags. When
lambs get to the point of sticking their heads through fences and
approach the age where it is no longer a roomy fit through the fence
wire, many ended up getting caught. Even one torn ear on a lamb is too
much for me!

I also do not like tagging in the summer as we have had a couple become
infected. We found that sometimes a particularly sensitive lamb might
do alot of "ear flicking" when the tag is new, and a few times the ear
became irritated (usually if the tag was hitting a horn) and infected
around the tag. We spray the ear with fly spray, but seems that the
summer bugs can be an aggravation to a fresh ear tag, at least here.

All sheep are now tagged whenever they leave here with our scrapie
tag.. We use the round button style tags, and those could still get
caught and rip an ear, so if at all possible, I like to wait until the
lambs are past being able to get their head through the fence wire.
Any lambs still here in the fall/winter months will hopefully be tagged
during a deworm or hoof trim session, but as fall-back, any without tags
on shearing day get tagged as part of our shearing process.

It works for us but basically is a system of procrastination where we
don't do it until we have to! :-)

Cathy
Perfect Spot Farm....where lambs are just beginning to arrive!
http://www.perfectspot-farm.com/2010Lambs.html