[Jacob-list] Renewing Pastures

Beryl Schwartz beryl5145 at wirelessbeehive.com
Tue Mar 2 19:54:39 EST 2010

All,

Well, I finally got a tractor (49 Ford 8N) and the following implements:
blade, disker and cultivator. So now I can work on my pastures. I
installed irrigation lines last summer, so I can also water them. Not a lot
grows in these pastures, so every bit helps.

I had them tested and they have very low amounts of organic matter (<0.5%).
So I was thinking about incorporating organic matter (wood chips, manure and
half rotted compost) by spreading it on a 1 acre pasture, cultivating it in,
disking it and planting seed. I am going to do this in the fall. I plan on
planting a mixture of Ranger alfalfa and dryland pasture grass

I have some questions:

Am I on the right track?

Any tips on plowing?

What is the best way to plant seed?

How many weeks do I plant before the frost?

What is the best way to fence out the animals the following spring and
summer?

Thanks,

Beryl Schwartz

Stockton, Utah