[Jacob-list] Tanning Pelts

Jaci Siehl sugarpinejacobs at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 08:55:13 EST 2010

Thank you to everyone that has responded

The reason I'm looking for a new tanner is because I sent one sheep pelt and later 3 deer hides to Sterns and both times there was a lack of communication, a 4-month to 1-year delay, and lots and lots of stories about where my pelts were in the system.  I have to admit when I did get them back they were perfect.

Makes me wonder if tanners are inherently poor businessmen due to the chemicals effecting them or because they are poor businessmen they get into the tanning business.......

I just got word from Golden State in Turlock, CA  that they do sheep pelts - still haven't been told a price or turnaround time yet.  This would be handy because they are about 150 miles from my house - not across the country.

I also heard from a company in Colorado and they would do domestic sheep but they wanted $200 because of the extra work involved in dealing with the thin skin and long wool (oh, and they don't do any fleshing).

If I go to someplace besides Buck or Sterns, I'll post here what my experiences are.

Jaci Siehl
Sugarpine Jacobs
530-538-9474