[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Donnangelo, Nick ncd at mitre.org
Tue Jul 20 10:22:26 EDT 2010

Fellow shepherds:

Went out this morning to take care of the horses, donkeys and sheep and saw our beautiful 18 month old ewe lying in the field by herself. On closer inspection I discovered that she had died. No sign of struggle or thrashing, no wounds, no nasal discharge, some loose stools directly under her tail. There was still some heat left, RM had set in, but her rumen appeared somewhat bloated, not sure if that is a significant finding probably hours after she died.

We have had an extremely healthy flock. Local vet could not handle a necropsy; needed to transport her to Warrenton (about an hour away); since work schedule would not permit today and I had no way to store her to transport tomorrow so had my helper bury her.

Weather has been terrible, but I sheared them late this year. Any theories, suggestions, ideas??