[Jacob-list] certified scrapie free

BIDEWEE at aol.com BIDEWEE at aol.com
Tue Jul 20 13:05:44 EDT 2010

Hi Betty,
In theory, the longest it would take for signs/symptoms of scrape to appear
in live animals is 5 years. The current theory for transmission is that
scrapie is passed from mother to lambs via birth fluids. Apparently it's
also possible for other animals housed in the same area to be infected from
the birth fluids.

When you're enrolled In the voluntary scrapie program, a state vet comes
out once a year to inspect your flock for signs of scrapie. Enrolled flocks
must provide the USDA with annual records (complete with names and contact
info) of all incoming and outgoing sheep. In addition, all farm born
animals over 18 months must be tagged and added to the flock 'inventory' and
cause of death must be provided for all deceased animals.

To be certified in the voluntary program, a flock must go 5 years without
signs/symptoms of scrapie appearing in the flock and without adding any
non-certified, unknown or suspect animals. Rams don't affect status since
scrapie isn't apparently transmitted through semen. Ewes can be added from
certified flocks without affecting status, but if they're added from
un-enrolled or enrolled (but not yet certified) flocks, the flock will revert back
to the status of the flock the ewe came from. Example, we enrolled in the
voluntary program in 2001 then bought our Huntsberger sheep in 2003 so our
status reverted back to year 1 since the Huntsberger sheep weren't on the
voluntary program. Our flock was certified in 2008 because we hadn't added
any ewes from non-certified flocks in the ensuing 5 years.

Obviously a live animal test would be more precise but until an affordable,
effective live animal test becomes widely available, this is the system
the USDA uses to consider a flock to be scrapie free.

Hope that makes sense,
Karen Lobb
bide a wee farm
_www.bideaweefarm.com_ (http://www.bideaweefarm.com)

In a message dated 7/20/2010 9:15:14 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,