[Jacob-list] Ewe lamb selection

Lynette Frick lynettefrick at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 16:15:32 EDT 2010

Instead of focusing so much on the markings, or minor differences in tail
lengths you may want to consider letting your records,and the structural
conformation of the sheep guide you. The Jacob is supposed to be a hardy,
prolific breed of sheep. If the lambs are conformationally identical, and
all meet the basic requirements for their markings, horns, and wool, then
look through records and choose the one that has the highest merit from both
its parents, on traits like parasite resistance, and prolificasy, not to
mention looking at what traits have been most marketable for your particular
flock. If she stays clean, and her tail is not outlandishly long, she is
from lines that have a good tendency to throw twins, and have good parasite
resistance, keep her! If the lambs are not conformationally identical, than
I would look at what those flaws are, decide which are tolerable within your
breeding program, and still take a strong look at the parents
production/health records. In a breed with as limited of a gene pool as the
Jacob its so important to focus on the traits that will help it thrive, and
survive for many generations to come.

Just as a side note, I was talking (but mostly listening) to a couple of
producers about two weeks ago. They where talking about their worming
programmes for their Suffolk operations. I know that if I would have had to
wormed my sheep every 30 days I would have been broke, and burned out right
quick!

Focus on the traits that will give you the most functional, healthy, cost
effective sheep, and with careful selection the other things will fall into
place over time.

Good luck

Lynette