[Jacob-list] crossbreeding

hobbyknobfarm hobbyknobfarm at main.nc.us
Tue Jan 5 12:34:06 EST 2010

Miranda,
My colored cotswold ram crossed himself with one of my Jacob ewes last year and I got 2 cute black with a little white ram lambs (now wethers) the fleece is long with a more open crimp. I believe I read somewhere (and Neal mentioned this) that you get the black or dark when you cross with a Jacob. A friend of mine has a jacob/cotswold ewe and I always liked the fleece, very nice open curls but it is grey and not black or as dark as mine. I think someone on this list, bide a wee? does the same thing with border leceister and Jacob and I remember seeing their lambs last year and they looked just like mine. And they have really cute little, manageable horns.
Elizabeth