[Jacob-list] Need any medical help on ram

gotothewhip at aol.com gotothewhip at aol.com
Sun Jan 3 22:17:06 EST 2010

It sounds like you are on a good path... I am also NOT a vet, but had to deal with a few in tough spots.. goats, but Im sure the same treatment.

I would get some sugar in him.. Even if you just rub it on his gums.. Karo Syrup works perfect to get them going.....The ringers will do him good as well... If you need to, now that he is getting more into normal range, warm up the ringers and just give it Sub-Q under the skin.

If you have Vit B I would include that, as well as a steroid like Dexmethazone... I am a beliver that no weak animal should die without steroids and vitamin B... It wont hurt to give him (short term, dont do it long term, and no more banamine for a few days) and may jump start him.. but see if you can get the Vitamin B if nothing else!

We used old milk jugs to warm up a doe that got hurt one time.... Just fill them with warm tap water, and set them in on each side. Lots of rubbing to get the skin feeling things again!

You can use cooked oatmeal or baby cereal to get him going as well Syringe it to him if he is swallowing....... You might concider including some yougart and or Probiotics to get his gut going.. thus was likley stressful enough to shut that down...And I would keep up with the lamb drench....

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn Ranch