[Jacob-list] Need any medical help on ram

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Sun Jan 3 20:58:57 EST 2010

Hey Peggy,

I hope he makes it. This may relate. I had a ram that got tangled in
electric fence (completely my fault) and I found him in the morning with
the wire wrapped around his hindquarters. It was in the winter, but not
as cold as you are there. He was hypothermic, with a temp right around
90. We also brought him in and warmed him by the heater in our living
room. The vet came and gave him iv glucose. I fed him by syringe until
he was strong enough to eat out of a bucket I held up for him. The vet
recommended putting him in a sling at least twice a day and flexing his
legs. I couldn't get a sling rigged that balanced him properly(his head
was so much heavier than his butt), but found that putting him straddled
over a couple of hay bales worked. It was important that he be moved
frequently and was held upright for periods during the day to avoid
pneumonia. I also flexed his legs while he was hanging on the hay bale
per the vets instructions. Other than the physical therapy, food,
vitamin/mineral supplements, and water, the vet had no other
suggestions. The diagnosis was nerve damage from the electric fence
coupled with hypothermia.
In my case, the ram got steadily stronger and stood after two weeks.
Other than a slight head tilt, he was normal after that.
Unfortunately, by then his first lambs had been born. He didn't survive
the culling process. Still, I'm glad I went to the trouble to save him,
as it was a learning process.
Best of luck with your guy.

Linda

--