[Jacob-list] "Exotic" Jacob Sheep in canned hunt

Carl Fosbrink fourhornfarm at verizon.net
Fri Jan 1 11:20:32 EST 2010

It is my belief that the majority of the people who kill animals at the shooting preserves are city dwellers that have plenty of money to spend and little knowledge of wildlife. They pay a large sum of money to stay in a nice lodge with good meals and drinks served to them and then are taken to a stand to shoot the animal of their choice. They may pay a couple thousand dollars for one day and night. It is not hunting, in my opinion, but maybe it will keep them off our farms. In Indiana it is dangerous to be out during deer season. We have so many people who come from town to hunt and they might shoot anything that moves.
The fact that this fellow in the film did not make a clean kill and his comments shows he is not a hunter. Hunters and their license fees and clubs etc. actually preserve a great deal of our wildlife, pay for game wardens and wildlife preserves etc. and I have no problem with a quick kill as every animal we eat has to be killed, but we hope it is quick.
In our American Jacobs early history the exotic sales are where Edd and Luther picked up a lot of breeding stock by bidding on the best animals for sale to use as breeders. The ram in the film had a nice set of horns, but was not a great overall flock sire ram.
What really bothers me is the caged laying hens and confinement hog operations etc. where animals entire lives are spent in misery. Humans also sometimes suffer for a long time in a nursing home before dying while the ram in the film suffered for maybe two or three minutes.
An animal that is not fed and housed properly is also a concern so let's take good care of the Jacobs in our charge and try to keep this in perspective as it seems to be a recurring subject.

Happy New Year!
Carl