[Jacob-list] market lambs & such

avillionfarm at avillionfarm.com avillionfarm at avillionfarm.com
Mon Aug 9 12:39:34 EDT 2010

I wish I could remember where I saw this report, but within the last few
years a taste comparison was conducted that encompassed a number of
heritage breeds and Jacobs scored very high.

Jacob ewes crossed on a BFL ram produce a very fast growing lamb that
finishes well on grass.

One difference I note between Shetlands and Jacobs is that older rams that
are Shetland have much larger discrete fat deposits compared to Jacobs I
have seen. At least one of my ethnic buyers, if they have a choice,
prefer a Jacob lamb compared to a Shetland.

Elaina