[Jacob-list] Gender Linked Horns, Scurs, & Genetic Letter for Lilac

ranchrat ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Fri Aug 6 04:00:28 EDT 2010

Heel low:

Linda: Go to my website, Tales from Rat World Page, my article (edited
by Liisa Sarakontu, Dec 31, 2007), article 19 on canine colour genetics.

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
D - Blue Dilution
D is dominant, single or double dose, and allows for full pigmentation.
Recessive d in a homozygous state produces dilute pigment.
D affects both eumelanin and phaeomelanin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looking at Roy Robinson NDR F I Biol 1978's publication "Colour
Inheritance in Small Livestock," his primary coat type and colour chart;
both dense pigment and dilution are found in the Cat, Cavy, Chinchilla,
Mouse, Rabbit and Rat but only dense pigment is found in the Gerbil and
Hamster. Things may have changed since 1978, in fact I know there are
developments in new mutations and such; white spotting, roan, dalmatian,
dom silver.

I posted this here back in 2003:

http://www.shaltzfarm.com/shcolterms.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dilution:
This gene may not exist in sheep, though it is common in some other
animals. It acts to clump pigment so that some of the clear keratin of
the fiber, reflecting white, shows in the spaces between the clumps.
This makes the color appear 'dilute', or lighter than normal. Some
people consider this gene to be called 'distribution' because of the
clumping. Either way, a black sheep will appear 'blue' gray (not black
and white mixed, but solid plain gray), while a brown sheep would appear
a solid light brown (not brown and white mixed). The key to determining
whether a particular sheep is expressing dilution is to check its
'points'. The fiber on its hair and legs should also be the 'dilute'
color. If not, then dilution is not what is making a blue gray or light
brown color.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I see nothing as of yet to alter the consensus of the outside world
feeling that there is no BLUE in sheep.

Jacobs being dominant black, dilute or the simple word "blue" is
interchangeable. The addition of "b/b" for chocolate (b is for brown)
would alter the phenotypical expression of the diluted eumelanin to
diluted phaeomelanin thereby explaining the lilac greys and lilac browns
we see. I don't have real issues over defining how dominant black is
diluted to browns or greys; coloured spots other than black is my focus
for now. Like breeding for a trait, I do not want to muddy the waters
with too many variables! VBG Lilac for simplicity is any colour but
black.

We keep seeing sources that say that "d" (recessive blue) is not found
in sheep so until I read a copy of The Genetics of Coat Color in Jacob
Sheep by Dan Carpenter, I have no comment to uphold that blue does exist
in sheep. Dan, why "coat" colour? Coat is most often defined for hair
and Jacob wool is a completely different structure (like coffee cups
stacked on each other). Hair takes red pigment well, wool does not and
one of the reasons we rarely see great red pigment expression in sheep.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/sarakontu/link/farlinks.html

Liisa lists Dan's work, described as "a short text about black and
"lilac"" with the following link that does not work.

http://members.aol.com/hobsickle/JacobSheepColorGenetics.html

Liisa states there is no blue in sheep so is Dan's article not
convincing enough even tho Liisa lists it on her site? It was her
comments to me that incited me to ask here on Jacob-L for a genetic
letter for lilac.