[Jacob-list] Inbreed/Linecross/Breed genetic variability

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Fri Sep 25 20:24:01 EDT 2009

Interesting that the Holstein be mentioned. I recall a party ... five
years ago? .... hosted by Gary and Gail Anderson in the California wine
country ... don't recall the occasion for the party it was that good... but I
met Harvey Blackburn over a glass of wine .. I corresponded with him
previously but a glass of wine waxed over my shyness ... and he was talking about
these black and white animals. The subject was genetic diversity within a
breed (not cross breeding between breeds) and he mentioned Holstein cows:
Sixteen million of these that represent abouyt 85% of the cow population
(distinguiished from cattle). As Harvey tells it, he comes out in the morning
and says to the 16 million "Get in a line facing me". He then says "You
all look the same. But if anyone of you is not related to another in the
line, take four steps forward." Do you know how many would step forward?
Yup, twenty five. This is the ultimate line breeding and the ultimate loss of
breed genetic variability. A lot of milk and cheese but all the cows are
related to the same few bulls who were probably State Fair winners. You
know the drill. Angus cattle are probably in a similar fix.

Some inbreeding can be positive, some line cross breeding is positive.
Keep the line but keep the door open for linecross breeding. Don't get
painted into a corner. If all the animals in the flock are closely related,
inbreeding and inbreeding depression are fait accompli. Unrelated rams are
the key and I suggest keeping the concept of "effective population" in mind
at breeding season. A flock of one ram and 30 ewes is an effectiive
populatiuon of 4. A flock of 3 rams and 30 ewes is an effective population of 12.
Multiple rams are the key. The inbreeding coefficient per generation for
the 1 ram/30 ewe flock is aboiut 13%; in the second case it is a little
over 4%. Multiple rams, not ewes, is the key to genetic variation and
reduced inbreeding.

I recommend the ALBC book "Managing Breeds for a Secure Future" which has a
lot of basics and how to info.

Fred Horak
St. Jude's Farm
1165 E. Lucas Road
Lucas, TX 75002
972-727-0900

In a message dated 9/24/2009 7:46:32 A.M. Central Daylight Time,