[Jacob-list] Breeding Ewe Lambs

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 25 13:34:57 EDT 2009

>I'm soliciting folks' opinions about and experiences with breeding ewe

lambs that are 6 or more months old.?

>This list is SO helpful. Thanks everyone!!

>Laura

=======
We wait until they are at least 9 or 10 months old, sometimes wait until
they are a year and a half. My ewe lambs are way too small at 6 months!
Also, I bought a pregnant ewe that was bred when she was 7 months. When
the lamb was born, she didn't have any milk for it for several days. I had
to find a source of colostrum. I took them both to the vet and they gave
the ewe a shot of oxycytocin, a hormone to "bring the milk down", which it
finally did. I think the ewe was too young to have been bred and she
wasn't ready. After the first three days, she was a great mom and still is.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho