[Jacob-list] Inbreed/Linecross/Breed genetic variability

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Sep 25 22:18:59 EDT 2009

It's true that Holsteins are more inbred than we would like. The thing is, they are more genetically diverse than they were in 1880, and are now MORE genetically diverse than the other dairy breeds. Numbers are important. Ayrshires are an example of a great breed that has become a genetically dead end because of overselection for a narrow end-result. At the Madison Dairy Expo, there will be almost as many Ayrshires as Holsteins in the show, despite the tremendous differences in cattle numbers in production. This means that the majority of Ayrshires are selected for show; whereas very few Holsteins are selected for show characteristics. 25% of the top 100 Holstein sires in AI today are sons of "Oman", but there are barely 25 bulls used in the entire Ayrshire breed, most of them are from just a few bull-sires.

Fred's statement:
"Unrelated rams are the key and I suggest keeping the concept of "effective population" in mind at breeding season. A flock of one ram and 30 ewes is an effective population of 4. A flock of 3 rams and 30 ewes is an effective population of 12. Multiple rams are the key."

Is one that I have been trying to get across for some time. The only thing that makes a ram "good" is that he sires good offspring. Why not use the best sons of a ram instead of using the same ram year after year? The sons are more genetically diverse than the original ram and provide and opportunity to reselect good offspring that preserve the diverse characteristics expressed from the flock. The cliché "the ram is half the flock" is a warning as well as an adage. We would rather have 3 rams be half the flock.

Neal Grose