[Jacob-list] skulls and SUED

BlackSheep westergladstone at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 19 06:34:59 EDT 2009

Hi All
Skulls and SUED. I know this is discussed every few months - here in Britain it has come up again, this time on the Shetland Breeders group. You might not expect that, but every now and then four horned individuals appear within the Shetland Breed and the incidence of SUED in them is very high.
My question is: has anyone over there in America, where you are able to get your hands on your animals skulls, which we are not here in Britain, seen any bony defect of the orbit in animals know to have had split upper eyelids?
Of course everyone has their own ideas of the cause and inheritance of four horns and SUED - here there are two main factions, one saying that SUED is part of the split of the horns, extending down into the bone of the orbit; the second opinion says that the defect is limited to the soft tissues. I have seen skulls of four horned sheep known to have had split eyelids, but with no bony defect and I have not seen one displaying a defect, but my experience is very limited as we are not allowed to retrieve skulls from the abattoir.
Your experiences would be very helpful - thank you.
Juliet Johnston
Scotland UK