[Jacob-list] importations

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Fri Sep 18 12:36:51 EDT 2009

I re-read Painter's book Jacobs in America and can't find the mention of
lawn ornaments on Victorian estates in America. There are many referencves
to their lawn ornament status in the Parks of the UK. Il think that any
case for importations of what we call Jacobs before 1950 (just to lay down a
marker) should have some evidence but his is not without difficulty.
First, Jacob was not a popoular settled breed name; second, brief references to
polycerate sheep and sheep horned in hboth sexes could refer to
"established breeds" but not specifically used by the writer ... such as the case
with the New Hampshire reference which could just as easily be a Manx
Loughtan; third, the ever wandering horned cross-breds.

Fred Horak

In a message dated 9/16/2009 5:00:48 A.M. Central Daylight Time,