[Jacob-list] sensibility

ranchrat ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Thu Sep 17 14:17:28 EDT 2009

When Betty says, "Some people believe very strongly that handling their
domestic animals is NOT good policy, not good for them, not good for the
animals." I find nothing positive to support that idea past running it
like a business; less inputs = more outputs (if the "domestic" animals
survive what I consider neglect). Years ago, Betty and I agreed we both
raised our critters different. She made it known that her sheep had to
support themselves, we on the other hand, are a conservation farm and I
am semi-retired driving bus solely to pay for the operation. We
currently have 20 outbuildings averaging $25,000 each. We simply cannot
expect the animals to justify that outlay in itself. We spend upwards
of $10,000 annually on feed, bedding and species specific bagged
rations, not factoring in any equipment acquisitions, asset
depreciation/replacement, electricity or consumables past the food and
bedding. There is no compensation for labour past it being a hobby. I
packed in 675 55# bags this year.in 30C weather.earned me an extra slice
of pie at dinner.bully! When we go from 35 containment areas to over 75
during breeding seasons, nobody pats us on the back with words of
encouragement. We have no expectation of profit yet neither are we
non-profit. I very much doubt there are any here on this list with
hands raised going, "Hey, that's us too!" but if there is, my blessings
upon your insanity.the creatures are SO very lucky.

By not handling your sheep, when you do have to handle them at some
point (say for medical reasons, shearing, innocs, whatever) you compound
the incident by adding what I consider is unnecessary stress. If your
Jacobs are use to being handled, the handling is no issue when an
emergency occurs. My vet appreciates our work with our animals as he
knows he can do pretty much anything on them without a "rodeo" on his
hands. Diagnosing disorders is also complicated if you are dealing with
rapid heart beat, stress, shock and this is only because you laid your
hands upon the beast.

Along with the Jacobs and other ruminants, we keep poultry; for
exhibition, conservation (some varieties we have are found no where else
on the planet), and just 'cause. If we had issues with how we raised
males, we'd not see our males winning awards.no judge is likely to award
a bird flapping crazy like in a show pen or a charging ram or antsy ewe.

>From heritage turkey toms to ganders, roos and drakes, rams, bucks, and

studs.sensibility is a must or I'd be spending much more time in the
local hospital 'cause the boys thought I required messing up.LOL

I suppose the horse is now plenty flogged dead. Am off to dance in the
rain.we sure needed it.

Tara