[Jacob-list] spinning

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Sun Nov 29 18:32:31 EST 2009

That's definitely the best way to go if you can. I learned to spin on an
Ashford Traditional. It's a great little wheel and Ashford NZ really
stands behind their wheels. When I needed a new roll pin after a repair
(easy to do), the American distributor for Ashford told me that the old
style roll pin was no longer available. I emailed Ashford NZ and they
sent me the proper roll pin - free including shipping -AND when the
first pin didn't arrive, they sent a second one - also free. Ashfords
are nice because you can modify them with faster flyers, double treadle
kits, etc. Dave's repaired three older wheels for other spinners and
there isn't much you couldn't fix yourself on a used wheel(if you needed
to) with basic carpenter skills. Used Ashfords are usually available and
reasonably priced.
Louets are nice wheels. I was more comfortable with flyer lead, scotch
tension, when I learned to spin, but I see many new spinners that take
off with bobbin lead.
I would be very leary about buying anything on ebay advertised as
"antique" "maker unknown", etc. There used to be a number of sellers
from the Netherlands (maybe there still are) with pretty wheels for very
reasonable prices even with shipping. I bought a castle wheel a couple
years ago. Beautiful wheel - needed alot of work. Others have had more
positive experiences.
Linda

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>