[Jacob-list] llamas/sheep/parasites

hobbyknobfarm hobbyknobfarm at main.nc.us
Mon May 4 21:53:01 EDT 2009

I too have sheep and llamas. I would like to add that if you can, start learning to do your own fecals or have someone do them for you periodically. This is helpful so that we stop overusing wormers and to see if your wormer is working. Meningeal worm will not show up in a fecal as it is a parasite of the CNS but you can at least see what you may or may not have. In our area, safegaurd is not working. There is some good parasite research for llamas going on at U of GA. I fortunately do not have a problem with deer at my place but know that constant use of Ivermectin to treat Meningeal worm has resulted in resistance/ineffectiveness for the intestinal parasites on many farms. Yes some llamas can be good guards but no llama can survive or protect from a pack of dogs/coyotes.All of my llamas are good for warning that something is around that does not belong regardless of which pasture they are in. Still might be a good idea to have the shotgun ready. Somehow I did not get the first question from chat so I hope this makes sense.

elizabeth
www.hobbyknobfarm.com