[Jacob-list] llamas and parasites

RNS1260 at comcast.net RNS1260 at comcast.net
Sat May 2 17:25:23 EDT 2009

Hi Darla,

Not all llamas guard. We have 20 plus Jacob sheep, three alpacas and four llamas. They have all been introduced through a fence for several weeks before we turn them out together. All of our animals intermingle and share the same fields. The llamas and alpacas have there own stalls at night, but that's just our set up. Our one male is the natural guard of the entire flock.

It is very important that llamas receive an injection of Ivermectin 1cc per 50 lbs.every 6 or 7 weeks. They can get meningeal worm that is carried by the deer and makes it's way to our fields via snails. We alternate with Dectomax 1cc per 75 lbs. a couple of times through out the coarse of treatment to aid against resistance. Because you are dealing with different parasites you need to triple dose them with Equine Safeguard paste for three days in a row, Spring and Fall. After the first freeze, we give them a break for a few months. As soon as the winter weather starts to break, we start our regime again.

I hope this is some help to you.

Cheryl

www.risenshinefarm.com