[Jacob-list] bottle-fed lamb questions

Mick, Kimberly S. MickKS at hiram.edu
Mon Mar 23 12:52:28 EDT 2009

Still new to raising sheep...we had twins born 2/7/09 and two weeks
later one of the twins got out of the jug and was badly hurt, we think
by her father.

She had swelling of the brain, a bloody nose, and was unconscious. We
nursed her back to health and have been bottle feeding her since.

We've had to keep her in a separate stall because the other females
mistreat her. We sold her father. In the meantime, she is physically
healthy but extremely slow, in many ways. Since I've never bottle-fed, I
don't know what to expect. She hasn't learned to eat hay or grass and
nibbles on creep and cat food (she got into the cat's dish). It took
some time to find a vet but we did. He gave her a shot to lessen any
swelling of the brain, if there was any at that point, and a shot to
increase her appetite, which would only last for a day or two. The only
time she perks up is when we leave the room and then she comes running
and yelling. She's afraid of the other sheep. How much of this is
normal for bottle-fed babies and how much is from her accident? Will
she learn to eat grass and hay, but perhaps just later than the others?
While the others run, jump, and play, she just hangs out with my husband
and me. We both work so she has a lonely life during the day and has
her bottle early in the morning and spends her evenings with us. She
appears to have no interest in mixing with her own or eating hay or
grass. Suggestions?