[Jacob-list] bottle-fed lamb questions

fourhornfarm fourhornfarm at verizon.net
Mon Mar 23 16:57:02 EDT 2009

Dear still new to raising sheep,

Why did you leave the ewe and her lambs in a jug for two weeks? If there was a problem, that is a reason, but that is the reason for your problem with the lamb. If left separated from the flock for too long the flock will not accept the ewe or her lambs back into the flock without re-establishing the pecking order, which involves a lot of head butting.
I would not keep a ewe and her lambs in a jug for more than a day or two unless there was some serious problem. It also helps to have your jug where the rest of the flock can still be in contact with the ewe and her lambs through the fencing. This makes re-introduction to the flock easier.
My recommendation as far as re-introducing the lamb back to being a lamb would be to make it a pen in the sheep barn and feed it it's bottle out there. It will soon want to play with the other lambs and it will have some company while you are all at work. I don't know what part of the country you live in, but if it is warm enough for the grass to start growing, let the lamb follow you around the yard in the evenings and it will start nibbling on grass. Watch out what flowers it nibbles on as some flowers and yews are toxic.
Hope this helps a little. I'm sure others will have more help.

Carl