[Jacob-list] unusual for us

Lasell J. Bartlett lasell at lasell.org
Sun Mar 22 09:44:46 EDT 2009

We were VERY surprised this morning by a lovely set of twins from
Sasha. VERY surprised because she has been nursing a really nice ram
lamb for the past 10 days.

I now know who his real mother is, as fortunately she is the only
"other" ewe who lambed that day. However Sasha has been intent on
rejecting the newborns because she already has a lamb. Anyone ever
run into this dilemma?

We have moved the ram lamb into the barn to share a stall with mother
and two lambs who survived from triplet birth, (third was born
without an anus), and another ram lamb who has managed to sneak some
milk but was a rejected twin so is very much enjoying some bottle
milk. I can only hope that the 10 day old lamb will start thinking
the bottle is a good idea, and that Sasha will take her new lambs. We
did hold her while the new lambs got some milk. I had been thinking
it would be colostrum but maybe not if she's been nursing all along?????

So, can I keep hopeful that the 10 day old will take to the bottle?

Will Sasha produce colostrum even though she's been nursing for 10
days before giving birth?

Oy. And here I'd thought lambing time was just about manageable again.

Lasell Bartlett
Fine Fettle Farm
Newbury VT